* The BJP wants Amethi. It's candidates have lost twice to Rahul from there - in the 2009 and 2014 Lok Sabha elections. Irani, who contested for the BJP from Amethi in 2014, did manage though to reduce the margin of the BJP's loss in 2014.
* In the 2017 UP Assembly elections, the BJP won six of the 10 Assembly seats falling under the Amethi and Rae Bareli parliamentary constituencies. Four of these were in Amethi. The BJP now wants to capitalise on this, thus the high-profile visit.
* Coincidentally, or not, the BJP leaders' Amethi blitz comes a mere three days after the Congress vice president toured Amethi. During his visit there, he accused the BJP governments at the Centre and in Uttar Pradesh of neglecting his constituency.
* The BJP's Irani said yesterday that it is the Congress leader who needs to spend more time in Amethi "instead of engaging in political activity". She claimed today that Rahul's one-day visit to Amethi last week was planned after hearing the news of BJP chief Amit Shah's visit to the constituency.
* Irani took a jab at Rahul today, saying visits by her and senior BJP leaders ensured that the people of the district were seeing more of the Congress vice president. "In 2014, I had promised the people of Amethi and of the country that by my repeated visits to Amethi I will ensure that the people would be seeing more of Rahul Gandhi," she said.
* In the BJP's favour is the fact that a local Congress leader, Jang Bahadur Singh, yesterday announced his decision to join the BJP. Singh is known to flit around. He was a BSP MLA from 2003 to 2007 before joining the Congress. Irani said 60-70 village pradhans had joined the BJP yesterday with Singh.
Also read: Congress leader meets SA President