GURUGRAM: Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar said on Friday he had full faith in the police but went ahead and announced a CBI investigation into the murder of seven-year-old Pradhyumn Thakur inside a Gurgaon branch of Ryan International School on September 8.
The CM made the announcement while meeting Pradhyumn's parents at their home, a week after the boy was murdered in the washroom of the school's Bhondsi campus.This means the police will no longer file their chargesheet in the case.
"It was an extremely unfortunate incident. I have come to meet the family and express my grief," Khattar said at the Thakurs' Shyam Kunj residence. Meanwhile, Ryan group founder A F Pinto, his wife Grace and son Ryan moved the Punjab and Haryana high court in Chandigarh for pre-arrest bail. Hearing is likely to take place next week.
A Mumbai court had earlier granted the Pintos interim protection till Friday.
The CM said he was acceding to the family's demand of a CBI inquiry . "Haryana Police has been conducting the probe properly . But we will write to the home ministry demanding a CBI probe.We will also appeal to the CBI to fast-track the case," he said.
Asked what action would be taken against the school authorities, since the government had registered a negligence case against it, Khattar said, "All lapses will be looked into and strict action will be taken against all of those found to be involved in the case."
Pradhyumn's father Barun said he was satisfied with Khattar's announcement, and his fight for justice would continue. "I am satisfied with the CM's decision to hand over the case to CBI. I am sure the CBI probe will help expose the culprits. But my fight for justice is not over. I demand that the Haryana government form strict safety guidelines for all schools so that no other parent goes through the pain and agony we are going through."