KOLKATA: A 30-year-old dengue patient, who was also suffering from a head injury, died on Saturday morning after being allegedly refused admission by two government hospitals in the city.
Biswanath Paria, a resident of Charu Market in Tollygunge, had been suffering from fever since early this week. On Thursday, a test conducted at a private diagnostic centre confirmed that Paria had dengue. His family immediately took him to MR Bangur Hospital which first asked him to return a day later and then refused admission. Paria's family tried getting him admitted to SSKM Hospital after he slipped and fell at his home, injuring his head on Friday. But SSKM, too, allegedly turned him away, asking his fami ly to seek admission at Bangur. On Saturday morning, Paria died on the way to MR Bangur hospital.
The incident triggered a protest as Paria's neighbours ran sacked MR Bangur hospital. The hospital authorities refused to confirm if he had dengue. But a probe committee has been formed to probe the death, said superin tendent Tapas Ghosh. His family, however, alleged that Paria is a victim of negligence. "We took him to MR Bangur twice on Thursday afternoon and on Friday night, pleading with doctors to admit him. He was weak and shivering with fever. But they refused, asking us to take him to SSKM instead," said a family member.
If confirmed as a dengue death, this will be the third in Kolkata proper this year. On Thursday, a father and a son died of dengue at Kasba. While the outbreak has so far been largely restricted to the northern fringes of the city -primarily South Dum Dum -the virus has finally reached south Kolkata, the deaths indicate.
Also read: Kurangani wildfire death toll rises to 17