Superstar Rajinikanth on Sunday added some fuel (of speculation) to the fire around his political innings. The actor, in a seemingly-philanthropic move, pledged Rs 1 crore for inter-linking rivers. After meeting a delegation of farmers, he offered to take steps to facilitate the linking of peninsular rivers like Mahanadi, Godavari, Krishna, Palaru, and Cauvery.
In 2002, Rajinikanth had famously offered ?1 crore towards interlinking Himalayan and Peninsular Rivers after a fast on the Cauvery issue. (Image: BCCL)
But this was no overnight generosity that the thespian had developed. It was the fulfilment of a promise that he had made 15 years ago to donate Rs 1 crore toward the national river inter-linking project. He had made the promise in 2002 when he undertook a fast demanding that the Karnataka government release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu as had been ordered by the Supreme Court.
On social media and in political circles, the debate has ensued whether this is a step that will have a political outreach. But the actor has been known to be generous for various causes.
Rajinikanth shooting for his movie titled 'Kaala' at Marin Drive , Rajinikanth plays a Tamil gangster based in Mumbai in Kaala. (Image: BCCL)
- December 2015: The actor stepped forward to help the rain-hit victims of Tamil Nadu. He had donated Rs 10 lakh to the Chief Minister's Public Relief Fund. The donation was made through 'Sri Raghavendra Public Charitable Trust', which is owned by the star actor.
- December 2014: The actor had helped the victims of Cyclone Hudhud. He had donated Rs 5 lakh to the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister's Relief Fund for relief and restoration works. The cyclone, in its wake, left a trail of devastation across Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam districts of North Coastal Andhra.
Tamil superstar Rajinikanth meeting with a fan in Chennai. (Image: BCCL)
- September 2014: During the Chennai floods, the veteran actor had cancelled his birthday celebrations. He had also reportedly donated Rs. 10 crore towards relief and had asked his fans to celebrate his birthday by lending a helping hand.
- Lion-hearted: Also, according to his biographer, Naman Ramachandran, the superstar has returned money to distributors whose films have tanked at the box-office.
- Friends Forever: Earlier this year, Charu Haasan, the elder brother of Kamal Haasan, raved about Rajini's generosity. He had revealed that for the past two decades, the megastar had been sending new clothes to him and his wife each year on the occasion of Diwali. Charu had worked with the actor in the early stages of his career.