Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Following NEET ruling, Karnataka private medical colleges do away with government quota

28 May, 2016 8:58 AM
183 0
Following NEET ruling, Karnataka private medical colleges do away with government quota

700 medical and 700 dental seats of private medical colleges in Karnataka, available earlier under the state government quota, will not be anymore. Private colleges in the state have now refused to share their undergraduate seats with the state government.

According to a report in The New Indian Express, M R Jayaram, chairman of Karnataka Professional Colleges Association, said the Supreme Court judgement and the NEET order have made them take this decision. The 1400 seats that were earlier given to the government will now not be available to it.

The Supreme Court on Friday refused to grant an interim stay on the operation of NEET ordinance, which allows states to continue with their entrance tests for MBBS and BDS courses for 2016-17. In all, 15% of seats will go to the NRI quota and the remaining 85% will be filled as per the NEET rank list. The association will also abide by the reservation policy of the state government for which the fee structure is yet to be decided. Sharan Prakash Patil, the state medical education minister, has expressed his surprise at the association’s decision and said that he would be seeking legal counsel over the issue.

The Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka, for admission to various engineering and medical UG courses at the affiliated colleges, announced that the ranking list and results will be declared on Saturday. The CET and CBSE Class 10 results will also be announced.

Source: dnaindia.com

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0