Director-general of military operations Lt General A K Bhatt conveyed the tough message to his Pakistani counterpart Maj Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza over the hotline on Monday, holding the Indian Army “reserved the right to appropriately” hit back at all ceasefire violations.
NEW DELHI: The deadly war of attrition continues along the 778-km Line of Control, with New Delhi issuing another stern warning to Islamabad that it will continue retaliatory punitive fire assaults against Pakistan Army's targeting of Indian troops or providing covering fire to infiltrating terrorists.
Director-general of military operations Lt General A K Bhatt conveyed the tough message to his Pakistani counterpart Maj Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza over the hotline on Monday, holding the Indian Army "reserved the right to appropriately" hit back at all ceasefire violations. "Lt Gen Bhatt said Army was sincere in its efforts about maintaining peace and tranquility along the LoC but there has to be reciprocity. The DGMO was emphatic that Pakistan Army's forward posts continue to actively support infiltration," said a senior officer.
"He said this was also evident from the continuing sniping operations and targeting of our troops through cross-border actions duly supported by Pak Army troops," he added.
The security forces have also turned the heat on terrorists inside J&K, having killed 103 of them till now this year, while also losing 48 of their own personnel. Infiltration has also registered a jump, with 52 of the 197 attempted bids being successful so far. Lt Gen Bhatt also told his counterpart that Indian troops, apart from retaliating to ceasefire violations, only "initiated firing" on spotting "armed intruders" attempting to infiltrate from "close proximity of Pakistan Army posts" along the LoC. "He was quite clear on that," said the officer.
Also read: Highways to be rated on safety features