It will have specific demands on denuclearisation: official
The United States will soon present a timeline to North Korea with ”specific asks” of Pyongyang after a historic summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, a senior U.S. defence official said.
The official, who spoke to a small group of reporters ahead of a trip to Asia this week by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, did not specify details but suggested that the timeline would be rapid enough to make clear Pyongyang’s level of commitment.
“There will be specific asks and there will be a specific timeline when we present the North Koreans with our concept of what implementation of the summit agreement looks like,” said the official. Mr. Trump has drawn some criticism from national security analysts for an agreement that emerged from his June 12 summit with Mr. Kim that had few details on how Pyongyang would surrender its nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week he would likely travel back to North Korea “before too terribly long” to try to flesh out the summit commitments.
At the Singapore summit, Mr. Kim reaffirmed a commitment to work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
Mr. Mattis, at the start of a week-long trip that includes stops in China, South Korea and Japan, said Mr. Trump’s guidance on suspending military drills applied not just to the major Freedom Guardian exercise in August but also to two smaller Korean Marine Exchange Program training exercises.
Mr. Mattis’s trip to China from June 26-28 will be the first by a U.S. Defense Secretary since 2014. North Korea is expected to be among the top items on Mr. Mattis’s agenda during his talks with senior Chinese officials.