Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

UP: 300 children fall ill after inhaling toxic gas from mill in Shamli, CM orders probe

10 October, 2017 9:58 AM
40 0

Around 300 students of a private school in Shamli district fell ill today after inhaling toxic gas emitted by a sugar mill, the police said.

Students of Saraswati Shishu Mandir had complained of stomach ache, nausea and burning sensation in their eyes after gas leakage from a neighbouring sugar mill.

At least 30 students have been admitted to a hospital, however, doctors say no child is seriously ill.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered a probe into the matter by Commissioner Saharanpur. Meanwhile, the sugar mill has been sealed by authorities.

"We have come to know that similar incidents had taken place in the past. A probe is on and strict action will be taken against those responsible," ADG, Meerut zone, Prashant Kumar said.

He said all the children are safe and are undergoing treatment in various hospitals.

"The CM has ordered a probe into the Shamli incident by Commissioner Saharanpur and directed the district magistrate and all local officers to provide all possible help to the affected children," principal secretary, information, Awanish Awasthi told PTI.

Locals alleged that sugar mill employees used to discharge chemicals in waste dumps leading to emission of harmful gas inhaling which children took ill, with some of them falling unconscious.

In August this year, Gorakhpur's BRD Medical College was in news when around 63 children died within a span of one week due to unavailability of oxygen.

Source: indiatoday.intoday.in

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0